What in the world?
What in the world is going on? Sure seems like there is more and more evil in the world, doesn't it? Have you ever seen the World Clock? If not, you might want to check it out. Click on the tab deaths and just watch for a few seconds. Be sure to note the number of violent deaths and abortions.
The recent violent deaths of innocent children is appalling. I've listened to the interviews, news reports (speculations) and seen the social media chatter. The big question seems to be "Where is God"? To that I want to shout - He lives in the hearts of His people who weep and mourn with you, are praying for you and we seek to comfort you in your suffering as the God of all comfort has comforted us. I've listened as some say this horrible tragedy is a result of mental illness, because we've taken prayer and God out of our schools or because people are allowed to buy and carry guns. Or, it is simply because evil exists. Did you know:
- More than 5 children die every day as a result of child abuse. 1
- 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 20 boys is a victim of child sexual abuse. 2
- The U.S. is one of the top 3 destination countries for human trafficking activity. 3
- Vice units across the country can often identify hundreds of underage girls on the streets who are compelled to be victims of child-rape-for-profit 10-15 times or more every night. Vice estimates that many times that number are likely being advertised for sale online. 4
What in the world is going on? Is evil winning? On a regular basis, I have to stop and remind myself that there is no Happily Ever After in this world. Why would I say or suggest such a thing? Well, would you agree that life in this world is filled with death, sorrow, pain, and suffering? That's because the ruler of this world is the evil one - satan or the devil himself. It's a hard truth to accept until the next person dies, or the next wave of sorrow, pain or suffering comes. Or deception. Jesus says the ruler of this world is a "murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies." As a result of his lies and deception children continue to be his target:
- Over 1 million babies will be murdered this year as a result of abortion.
- 55 million plus to date.
- Just since you have been reading this? If you stopped to look at the World Clock earlier, you might want to revisit it and note the number of abortions that occurred during the few short minutes it took to read the above.
You can't regulate evil. No matter how many rules, regulations or laws we put into place, they will never stop evil. But take courage, Jesus has come to save us from the power of the evil one in our lives AND from the penalty our our sins. And His Word dispels the lies of the enemy.WOW!
So, when the world wants to know where God is, and wonder what in the world is going on? We can proclaim - He is alive. He livesinside you and me. He lives in the hearts of His people! Those who show love. mercy, forgiveness, compassion, generosity because we have received these from God through His Son - Jesus Christ. Those who not only know the Word of God but live it out. In this world, we will have troubles, but take heart - Jesus has overcome the world. Read Jesus' last words and prayer in John 16:32-17:25 and the important role you play in making a difference in this world!